Republic of Kenya
Wajir County Government
County Public Service Board
The County Public Service Board, Wajir wishes to recruit competent and qualified persons to fill the following vacant position.
Advert No. WCPSB/021/15
Deputy Director – Public Health
Term of Service – Contract
Reporting to: – (County Director Preventive and Promotion Services – Health)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall leadership in preventive medicine, communicable disease control, advisory on public health issues, direct food programs and manage contamination control mechanisms
- Provide administrative and information support to the investigation of single/sporadic episodes of infection and to incidents or outbreaks of communicable disease as required.
- Coordinate effective technical surveillance of communicable diseases, data management, analysis and report writing for the Disease Early Warning Systems
- Coordinate monitoring of potential public health emergencies of national and international concern.
- Direct public health education programs dealing with topics such as preventable diseases, injuries, food service sanitation, water supply safety, sewage and waste disposal, insect control, and immunizations.
- Develop ways of providing appropriate and accurate information about people’s health, what social and behavioural factors can affect their health, and what can be done to improve health.
- Work within the local community to promote engagement in health issues and to challenge social, environmental and economic norms to alleviate their impact on public and individual health.
- Coordinate and mobilize community user groups, including formation of effective household based sanitation committees and water user management committees to within the county.
- Coordinate or integrate the resources of health care institutions, social service agencies, public safety workers, or other organizations to improve the community health.
- Prepare preventive health reports including problem descriptions, analyses, alternative solutions, and recommendations.
Requirements for Appointment
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Public Health, Environmental Studies or equivalent
- Master or post graduate diploma in public health, environmental studies or equivalent will be an added advantage
- minimum of five years’ experience including operational and field experience in liaising with governmental authorities and other partners
- Must be knowledgeable of legislations, regulations and policies guiding public health and sanitation
- Ability to demonstrate both public health and health systems aptitude
- Ability to work independently, self-motivate and to propose and implement new initiatives
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities
How to Apply:-
A cover letter and a detailed CV together with copies of ALL academic and professional certificates and testimonials should be sent in a
sealed envelope clearly marked on its left top corner with the reference number and job title should to:-
County Public Service Board
P.O. Box 45 – 70200
Hand delivered applications should be dropped off and signed for at the offices of the County Public Service Board in Wajir.
Deadline for Application: March 12, 2015.
Only those shortlisted for the positions will be contacted.
Wajir County Government is an equal opportunity employer
Shukri A Mohamed