This position is responsible for the strategic planning, design, monitoring, supporting implementation, and evaluation around Housing Support Services (HSS). S/he will be responsible for supporting the growth and development of HSS initiatives with Financial Service Providers (FSPs); monitoring and success of the HSS initiatives being implemented by the FSPs; and building the capacity of NO and the FSPs with regards to all matters relating to construction and the technical aspects of housing.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the HSS component of the project and provide guidance and advice to the NO and FSPs on Housing Support Services strategies and issues.
- Significantly contribute to the development of overall HSS (housing support services), and construction design and technologies strategy with the FSPs.
- Gather relevant information on housing, construction processes used, and conduct a suitability and feasibility study of construction and shelter improvements, in target geographic areas where the pilot projects with FSPs will be implemented.
- Lead in the design of new HSS initiatives, and tools for FSPs (which may include assessing the suitability and feasibility of construction interventions; advice to the appropriateness of materials and construction processes used; advice on appropriateness of interventions with regards to regulations etc.)
- Overall responsibility for supporting the planning and implementation of HSS initiatives, as determined by annual plans and agreements with FSPs.
- Work with the HFM project manager to generate a cost recovery strategy for each HSS developed with the FSPs.
- Leads analysis and review of HSS initiatives with FSPs documenting best practices and emerging lessons. Shares the learning and practices in appropriate forums
- Provides appropriate HSS related learning interventions for National Office, regional, and partner staff.
- Rising problems around the implementation of HSS to the Housing Microfinance Project Manager and National director/s
- Research and develop innovative construction related products with the partners.
- Be a resource to the NO, Area office and partners in general in the field of construction technologies and methodologies.
- Train and build the capacity of FSP, consultants and NO staff on HSS methodologies, tools, and interventions as may be appropriate
- Network with organizations and associations working in fields related to low-cost housing;
- Participate in research, policy development and design around low-income construction and housing.
- Responsible for collecting HSS related monitoring reports
- Coordinates the reporting and in communicating on HSS initiatives to partners, other stakeholders and /or donors external to the NO.
- As agreed with his/her supervisor, participates in HSS regional COPs (communities of practice), and other related task-teams.
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s or similar Degree in housing or construction related field (such as Architecture, Building Science, Engineering, Urban Planning, and Construction Project Management). A minimum of 5 years’ experience in construction/housing industry.
- Good interpersonal skills, oral and written communication
- Strong computer skills
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Ability to train others
- Effective coordinator and team leader
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with other cultures and nationalities
- Ability to work independently; and interdependently within a team, and with partners
Reporting: This position reports to the Housing Microfinance Project Manager – Kenya.
Interested candidates should e-mail their CV’s and motivation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 30th July 2012 at 5pm.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.