Practical Action is an international development agency working with poor communities to help them choose and use technology to improve their lives today and in generations to come.
We are seeking to recruit a highly motivated, results-oriented and proactive team player to fill the position of Project Assistant – Energy. The position is for a fixed period of one-year and will be based in Nairobi with occasional travel to the field.
Reporting to the Project Officer – Energy, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of energy assignments and project activities with Practical Action Consulting (PAC), including the PISCES and Bioethanol Pilot projects in Kenya.
In addition, the successful candidate will also support the development of new energy work and contribute to the Energy strategy development in the East African Regional Office.
- Effectively implement relevant energy assignments/ project(s) within PAC
- Effectively undertake consultancy assignments in renewable energy
- Participate in needs assessments and other surveys
- Effectively monitor and evaluate the projects with a view to informing the implementation process and keep the desired project outputs in perspective
- Document lessons learnt in each assignment/project
- Manage client/stakeholder relationships and develop new partnerships
- Develop and review project documents
- Participate in project trainings and meetings
- Participate in PAC Team Meetings
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely project reports and Time Sheets
- Support the development of new energy assignments (project concept notes, EOIs, proposals)
- Manage organisational resources within projects /assignments.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Degree in Energy or Environmental Sciences or any other relevant field
- Certificate in Project Management/Community Development would be an added advantage
- Minimum two (2) years relevant work experience in research, policy dialogue or consultancy in the renewable energy sector
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Excellent report writing skills
- Excellent networking skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Application letter together with a CV indicating current and expected salary, and names of three professional referees (one of whom must the current supervisor) plus their day-time contacts should be submitted to Practical Action by email on: firstname.lastname@example.org. to be received no later than 22nd March 2012.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Practical Action is an “equal opportunity” employer and highly encourages women to apply.