Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Administration and Planning)
Mount Kenya University is a Chartered University operating as a non-profit making institution of higher learning in East Africa.
The University has its main campus located in Thika Town. It has also established campuses in Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Eldoret, Nkubu (Meru) and Kigali (Rwanda).
Currently the University has seven (7) schools offering various Postgraduate, Bachelors, Diploma and Professional Certificate Courses. The University is a member of Inter University Council of East Africa (IUCEA).
In order to serve the growing number of students and to strengthen the academic programmes and in pursuance with our focus of being a centre of academic excellence, the University wishes to recruit qualified academic and administrative staff as follows:
1. Registrar – Academic Affairs
The successful candidates will report to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic Affairs and will provide administrative
support to the university academic division.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination of all teaching activities which include preparation of curricula, regulations, University almanac, timetables, examinations, result slips, transcripts, certificates and graduation.
- Formulation and provision of policy guidelines on planning, development and management of academic programmes.
- Guiding Heads of Departments, Deans of Faculties, Directors of Schools or Institutes and principals of Academic centres and running of academic programmes.
- Overseeing the administration of the students’ affairs which include admission, registration, orientation, student welfare, counseling, career guidance and discipline.
- Coordination of student and staff research activities.
- Planning and organizing public lectures, student attachments and university ceremonial functions.
- Provision of secretariat to senate and its committees.
- Applicants must have a PhD degree
- They must have worked in a senior position in a University
- The ideal candidate should be conversant with the running of Academic Affairs in a University or an institution of higher learning.
- In addition the candidate should be conversant with strategic management techniques.
2. Director – Internal Quality Assurance
Mount Kenya University wishes to recruit director responsible for the Internal Quality Assurance.
In-order to strengthen internal quality assurance mechanisms and the monitoring of quality of academic programmes offered in the university, he/she will be responsible for;
- Promoting and maintaining quality of the university programmes through planning, defining, encouraging, assessing and improving practice
- Ensuring continuous improvement in the entire operations of the University and ensure compliance with required standards of higher education training,
- Upholding and promoting quality assurance and learner assessment procedures
- Ensuring application of international best practices for human resource development. Work for the development of Internationalization and Institutionalization of quality enhancement policies and practices
- Formulating appropriate quality assurance policies ,practices and procedures for enforcing and monitoring performance against desired targets.
- Enhancing processes of academic quality assurance in the areas of Curriculum validation and review, Student learning, teaching and assessment, Staff development and appraisal ,Supervision of students, Evaluation of staff publications and Use of appropriate technology in service delivery
- Development and application of innovative practices in various programmes / activities leading to quality enhancement
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidates will report to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic Affairs and shall be the head of internal
quality assurance and should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Be a Professor or Associate Professor with an earned Ph.D. or its equivalent from a recognized University or
- Senior Lecturer / holder of a Master’s Degree with at least Three (3) years of experience in senior, academic and management positions
- Familiarity of ISO Certifications, Kaizen will be an added advantage
- Leadership experience in a University environment
- Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism.
3. Academic Staff
Associate Professors, Senior Lecturers, Lecturers, and Assistant Lecturers in the following areas:
Programme: School of Health Sciences – Bachelor of Clinical Medicine
Area of Specialization:
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Community Health
Programme: School of Pharmacy – Bachelor of Pharmacy
Area of Specialization:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Social and Administrative Pharmacy
Programme: School of Health Sciences – Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences
Area of Specialization:
- Clinical Chemistry
Associate Professor / Senior Lecturer
- Holders of a PhD Degree in relevant area from a recognized University.
- At least three years of University teaching.
- Those applying for Associate Professor should indicate their publications and post-graduate supervision.
Lecturers: Holders of a PhD Degree, in relevant area from a recognized University and at least two years of University teaching experience or Master’s Degree with three years university teaching experience.
Assistant Lecturers – Holders of Masters Degree and registered for PhD Degree.
4. Biomedical Engineer
- Servicing and maintenance of laboratory equipments,
- Calibration of medical equipments,
- Budgeting of laboratory equipments,
- Inventory keeping of equipments in the laboratory,
- Demonstrations to students
- B.sc Biomedical Engineering or Higher National Diploma and 3 years experience in a recognized medical institution
5. Laboratory Technologists
School of Pharmacy
- A Diploma in Pharmaceutical Technology
- A Higher National Diploma in any Pharmacy speciality or Applied Biology.
School of Health Sciences
- Higher National Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Preferably working in a teaching institution or an institution of higher learning.
- Registered or in process of registration with KMLTTB.
Competitive remuneration and generous medical insurance cover will be offered to successful candidates in accordance with Mount Kenya University Terms and Conditions of Service.
A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae that contains details of daytime telephone number, the current remuneration , names, postal and e-mail addresses of three (3) referees and copies of academic and professional certificates should be
submitted alongside the applications and be sent to:
The Human Resources Director
Mount Kenya University
P.O. Box 342 -01000, Thika
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Submit two copies of your application not later than Monday, 6th June, 2011.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details about Mount Kenya University visit the University website: www.mku.ac.ke
“MKU is an equal opportunity employer.”
“Scaling the heights of education”