Vacancy Announcement no. 003/11
Issued: 30 March 2011
Application deadline: 7 April 2011
Position title: National Consultant-HIV and Gender Support Officer
Contract type: NPP
Duration: Initially for 11 month with a possibility of extension up to 24 months
Duty Station: Nairobi, with frequent travel to the field.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of the FAOR in Kenya and direct supervision of the AFAOR (Programme) and technical guidance of Food Security and HIV and AIDS Officer in collaboration with all other technical Units in FAO-KE, the HIV and Gender Support Officer will;
- Support the Kenya component of the regional project “addressing HIV and gender inequalities through food security and nutrition responses in Eastern and Central Africa” by providing technical backstopping, monitoring and reporting on implementation
- Support Food Security and HIV and AIDS Officer in mainstreaming HIV and gender issues within FAO programmes including the provision of technical support and assistance in the development of related project proposals
- Provide direct support in addressing HIV and GBV issues in the area of assignment through identification of livelihood based interventions for the implementation of project related activities in the field in close collaboration with other technical units
- Provide guidance on HIV and gender issues from national perspective to FAO programmes, partners and stakeholders
- Provide technical support in the development and identification of HIV and gender issues including GBV related interventions within emergency operations
- Participate in baseline surveys, needs assessment and evaluations whenever required and use the findings to shape the interventions to address the emerging challenges
- Identify training needs for partners, plan and execute trainings and reflection meetings and contribute to the development or adaptation of training modules on HIV and gender.
- Contribute to the development or adaptation of training modules on HIV and gender
- Represent the FAO in the national inter- Agency working group on HIV and Gender and strengthen collaboration with partners (including the government) and donors on HIV, gender and food security interventions
- Monitor project activities in the field, collect and document lessons learned and best practices and prepare and submit reports thereof;
The candidate should posses
- Masters Degree in Sociology, Gender studies, Agricultural Economics or Project Planning and Management.
- 6 years relevant field experience in HIV and or gender programming with thorough understanding of local HIV and gender issues and global trends
- Experience in managing project with many stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and ability to facilitate high level meetings/ workshops
- Proven report writing skills
- Understanding of Farmers Field School concept will be an added advantage.
FAO is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Acknowledgements will only be sent to applicants in whom FAO has a further interest.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications may apply through email address provided, including a CV not exceeding 4 pages (A4) clearly marked HIV & Gender Support Officer, addressed to:
Only email applications will be accepted
Office of the FAO Representative in Kenya
No. 12 Peaceland House
Hill View Rise, Hill View Estate
Off Lower Kabete Road
PO Box 30470, 00100