Merlin International Project Coordinator Job in Kenya
Position: Project Coordinator
Program: All Merlin Programmes in Turkana District of Rift Valley Province, Kenya.
Responsible To: Country Director
Responsible For: Health Coordinator and National team
Location: Wajir but with frequent travelling to project sites in the Province and to and from Nairobi as required
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 12 months
Salary: £25,170 – £25,920 per annum (dependant on relevant experience), inclusive of annual Cost of Living Allowance
Benefits: Insurance cover, accommodation, and annual leave entitlement of 24 days per annum rising to 30 days at the completion of 12 months of continuous employment with Merlin.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be shortlisted on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
Please note that this is an unaccompanied position
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only specialist UK charity which responds worldwide with vital health care and medical relief for vulnerable people caught up in natural disasters, conflict, disease and health system collapse. Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been working in Kenya since 1998. Merlin is currently operational in three geographic regions: Lake Victoria, the Western Highlands and the Arid and Semi Arid regions of northern Kenya.
In addition to the country office in Nairobi, Merlin maintains offices in Kisii and Kisumu towns in Nyanza province, Lodwar in Turkana district and Wajir town in Wajir province. Since January 2008, Merlin has also been implementing an emergency response project in Nakuru North district in Rift Valley province.
The overall objective of Merlin’s work in Kenya is to contribute to a reduction of health inequalities and to a reversal in the current downward trend in health related indicators.
Merlin does this by responding to emergency needs as well as continuing to build on lasting working relationships with communities and local partners; supporting the strengthening of the Kenyan health system; approaching health problems with innovative interventions; developing answers to key practical questions through operational research; and using the lessons learned at local levels to feed into national-level programming and planning.
Main purpose of the role
The main purpose of the role is to provide programme support, development and implementation. Ensure relevant Merlin procedures and best practice are followed in relation to logistics, security, and human resource management.
Overall Objectives (scope)
The Programme Coordinator (PC) is responsible for overall management of all Merlin personnel, programmes and support functions in Turkana district, Rift Valley Province. Merlin is working closely in partnership with the Ministry of Health and communities to implement health and nutrition assistance to pastoralist and marginalised populations in Turkana district. Activities currently running include nutrition assistance through a Community Therapeutic Care (CTC) approach, support for the provision of Primary Health Care, capacity building of local partners, and HIV/AIDS activities.
- Overall responsibility for effective and efficient management of all Merlin programmes in Turkana district ensuring that they meet their intended objectives, consistent with the project management cycle and in accordance with Merlin principles, policies and procedures.
- Ensure programme activities are successfully implemented in accordance with the programme documents including proposals and project log-frames as well as the terms and conditions of the contract with partner agencies (including donors).
- Ensure monitoring systems are developed and are in place and that project reviews and evaluations are carried out as planned with the appropriate participation of stakeholders and partners at all stages.
- Employ participatory approaches for the development of links with community groups to raise awareness, increase knowledge and change attitudes and practices towards health issues.
- Assist the Project Health Coordinator in the process of work plan development, implementation and monitoring; field research/assessment, analysis, documentation, reporting and dissemination.
- Ensure all relevant authorities are included in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the programmes.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with provincial and district MOH, communities and their leaders as well as other stakeholder organisations.
- Develop effective coordination mechanisms between the programmes and with other potential or active partners in the field.
- Ensure project narrative and financial reports are completed and submitted on timely manner in accordance with the requirements of Merlin and the donor/s.
- Prepare accurate and timely project proposals.
- Be responsible for leading the process of undertaking civil society mapping exercise and identify potential local partners for Merlin in the district.
- In consultation with the Country Health Director, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, and theCountry Director, establish and maintain effective internal and beneficiary accountability mechanisms and systems in the district.
Logistics, finance and administration
- Ensure Merlin HR, administrative, financial and logistical systems/procedures are in place in accordance Merlin policies and procedures, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Be responsible for overall financial management of the field office including ensuring accurate budget coding and allocation.
- Review monthly financial accounts, forecast projections, and submit monthly financial reports and documents to Nairobi office on a timely manner.
- Ensure that all expenditures are within the agreed and approved budget and conduct monthly expenditure against budget monitoring and consult with finance department in case of any issues.
- Ensure Merlin complies with all legal and bureaucratic requirements in the province of operation.
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the the field office/programmes and the Nairobi Office.
- Ensure that monthly logistics reports are compiled and reviewed and submitted to Nairobi office in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring that inventory and asset lists are accurate, up-to-date and maintained.
- Ensure that Merlin procurement procedures are followed and that authorisation levels are respected.
- Ensure that Merlin transport policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that all Merlin contractual matters including contracts of office and team accommodation premises as well as hired vehicles are up-date and well maintained.
Human Resource Management
- Overall direct management and development of Merlin support function staff in Turkana district.
- Ensure that all Merlin staff contracts and job descriptions are up-to-date at all times and personnel files are maintained properly.
- In conjunction with the Project Health Coordinator, manage, supervise and support the work of the programme teams.
- In consultation and coordination with the Country Director and HR Manager and in accordance with Merlin Kenya HR policies, procedures and manual; be responsible for national staff selection, recruitment and disciplinary processes including dismissal in the province
- Ensure that timely staff appraisals are conducted for all Merlin staff in Turkana as per Merlin standard requirements and procedures.
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field, clearance procedures are followed for departing staff members, and that staff members are debriefed at the end of their employment.
- In consultation with the Project Health Coordinator, Country Health Director, the Country Director and HR Manager, develop TORs, identify external consultants and facilitate and monitor their field work (i.e. surveys).
- Maintain good inter-team communications and develop and maintain positive team dynamics.
- Ensure that Merlin’s national staff policies and procedures are understood and correctly followed.
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management.
- Be responsible for security and safety of Merlin staff and resources in the district in line with Merlin Kenya security and safety policy.
- Develop and update district specific security management plan in consultation with the Regional Logistics Coordinator and the Country Director.
- Record and report any security incidents to the Nairobi Country Office.
- Be the focal point for representing Merlin in Turkana with district level government authroities, Ministry of Health, donors, NGOs, networks and other stakeholders.
- Ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of Merlin activities as appropriate (e.g. donors, MoH, etc.).
- Represent Merlin at all relevant meetings and forums at provincial and district levels regarding matters related to Merlin programmes in Turkana district.
- In consultation with and guidance from the Country Director, act as the contact person with the press and media in the district.
- Contribute towards the dissemination of lessons learnt and best practice through publications (general, health sector, academic) and presentations at conferences, in consultation with the Country Director, Country Health Director, and the London Headquarters Staff.
- To respect all Merlin organisational and country specific policies, procedures and regulations and ensure that they also adhered to by all Merlin staff in the district.
- Carry out any other responsibilities as requested by the Country Director.
Qualifications, experience and competences
- Extensive experience of international programme management including project proposal and logical-framework development,
- A university level qualification in public health, development, social sciences or other relevant area
- Medical Background
- Good understanding of humanitarian and development issues
- Experience in the development and implementation of project monitoring and evaluation systems
- Demonstrated experience in financial management, budget preparation, organisational and planning skills
- Human resources management and capacity building skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Knowledge and experience of logistics and internal control systems.
- Proven problem solving and organisational skills and Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience of liaison with MoH, local authorities, NGOs, other agencies and donors
- Ability to live and work in remote insecure areas
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different functions and cultures
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- An understanding of and commitment to Merlin’s mission and values
Qualifications, experience and competences
- Post graduate qualification in development or health related field (e.g. public/community health).
- Good understanding of public health, primary health care and nutrition
- Experience of programme development in a public health context
- Experience in the processes and techniques involved in developing and using appropriate IEC/BCC resources and materials.
- Previous work experience in Kenya and knowledge of the Kenya context is an advantage.
To apply for this position
Please download an application form from our website www.merlin.org.uk
Completed form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject field the job title, country and reference number (if any).
Please note, on submitting your application, you are agreeing to Merlin holding and using the information that you have given for the purposes of recruitment and employment – should an offer be made. In order to process your job application, it may be necessary for your application to be sent to the Country Director (in the country you are applying for) for consideration. If you do not agree with this, please state so when applying.