National Consultant on Food Security Information Systems – Kenya: FAO Job Vacancy
Terms of Reference: National Consultant on Food Security Information Systems – Kenya
Duration: 10 Months
The overall purpose of the consultancy is to provide operational and technical guidance and support in the management and implementation of FAO projects in Kenya, particularly those related to Food Security Information Systems, within a period of 10 months.
Under the general supervision of Chief TCEQ the direct supervision of the FAQR Kenya, the technical supervision of ESAF and AGN, and in collaboration with SFE, and a dedicated national team in Kenya the consultant will, in particular, undertake the following activities:
- Provide overall leadership in managing the development and implementation of FAQ supported projects in the areas of Food Security and information in the context of disaster risk prevention, preparedness and response in support to the Government Food Security System, under the guidance of the FAQ Representative.
- Establish good working relations with the key stakeholders in the Government and in the humanitarian community and ensure FAQ’s attendance in the various stakeholders food security coordination structures (KFSM, KFSSG, DISK, ASCU), particularly to promote adapted responses in support of food security actions in emergency contexts.
- Provide expertise in managing the development and implementation of the IPC at country level
- Organize regular management meetings with the key stakeholders and partners to take stock of project implementation against work plans; identify constraints and solutions; and develop consensus on changes to the overall programme implementation plan and work plans.
- In order to better incorporate lessons learnt during disasters into mid-term and long-term Work with the Office of the President and ALRMP to seek ways to strengthen the KFSM, and in particular to broaden its function to incorporate mid and long-term food security issues as well as acute humanitarian food security events. Work with KFSM/KFSSG members to enhance the role of the KFSM within the wider drought and disaster management structure of the Government of Kenya.
- Attend relevant Government, non-government and UN forums related to Food security Information systems at country level and at regional level relevant.
- Take a lead in seeking follow-up funding for the FAQ projects, including the preparation of proposals and discussions with donors, as required by the FAQ Representative in Kenya.
- Provide the Chief, TCEQ and the FAQ Representative in Kenya with a final project report, including narrative and financial report, which includes sections on achievements, sustainability, constraints, lessons learned and opportunities for the future.
- Perform other related duties and activities upon instructions received from the FAQ Representative Kenya.
- Continuous technical support to GOK and partners for an improved Food Security Information System that informs critical decision making at high level.
- Better quality of information systems in place to inform preparedness and response
- A final report on the project, indicating the main achievements, constraints, lessons learned and future opportunities.
Qualifications of Consultant
The following are the core qualifications of the National Consultant Project Manager.
- At least 5 years of experience, including in food security assessment systems, early warning systems, data management and analysis and rehabilitation and development work
- Experience in livelihoods work in arid and semi arid environments.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stakeholders to achieve common goals.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Proven ability to work with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Previous Africa, or more specifically Kenya – specific experience is highly desirable.
FAQ is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Acknowledgements will only be sent to applicants in whom FAQ has a further interest.
Curriculum vitae and three professional references clearly marked/email subject ‘National Consultant on Food Security Information Systems’ should be sent no later than 21st June 2010, addressed to:
Office of the FAO Representative in Kenya
No. 12 Peaceland House
Hill View Rise, Hill View Estate
Off Lower Kabete Road
P.O Box 30470, 00100