Kenya Methodist University, a chartered ecumenical institution of higher learning based in Meru and with campuses in Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru and Nyeri wishes to recruit dynamic and qualified professionals for the following positions.
1. Registrar (Academic Affairs)
Applicants should be holders of a PhD from a recognized University. He/she should have at least five (5) years proven administrative working experience at a senior lecturer level in a large educational institution, and must be computer proficient.
The successful candidate shall perform such duties as:
- Coordination of recruitment, admission and registration of students,
- Oversee the administration of examination, graduation and certification,
- Preparation of academic calendar, time table and schedules,
- Coordinate use of tuition facilities,
- Secretary to the Senate and Deans’ Committee
- Any other duties
2. Deputy Registrar (Academic Affairs)
Applicants must be holders of at least a Masters degree in Administration or Business Administration or an equivalent qualification from a recognized University.
They must be computer literate and have at least 5 years of experience at a senior position in a University, three of which must be at the level of Senior Assistant Registrar. Applicants with a Bachelors Degree with at least 10 years of relevant working experience will be considered. Those with experience in handling students’admission and examination will have an added advantage.
3. Director of Open and Distance Learning
He/she will be expected to provide guidance in the improvement of ODM as an alternative method of teaching and learning through capacity building, course development and the design of effective learner support systems.
Applicants must be holders of PhD degree in Education, Humanities, Social Sciences, Information Sciences or equivalent qualification from a recognized University.
Those with a Masters degree in the above disciplines and 5 years of teaching experience, Education Administration preferably in an ODL environment, or publishing will also be considered. Competence in use of IT tools in teaching and learning and excellent communication skills in English and Kiswahili is a pre- requisite.
4. Editor, Open and Distance Learning Materials
The successful applicant is expected to oversee the design and development of the ODLM instructional materials.
He/she will assist in editing instructional content for print and electronic media production.
- Masters degree from a recognized university with specialization in the area of educational technology or media technology
- Proven proficiency in computer applications for digital content development
- Conversant with the development of ODLM instructional materials with at least 2 years experience in content editing
- Excellent communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
5. Senior Librarian
Must have a Masters Degree or equivalent in library and information Science from a recoqnized University and at least four years proven managerial experience as head of section in an academic library. Candidates must also be familiar with all library operations and be able to work with minimum supervision.
Those with six years managerial experience as heads of section in an academic library and at an advanced stage in pursuing an Msc in Library and Information Science will also be considered.
6. Technician — Communication & Journalism Department
To operate and maintain electronic journalism equipment, and software. In addition, demonstrate to students the use of such equipment and software. The holder of the position will also be expected to produce photographic, digital and audio-visual materials for use by the department and other sections of the University.
Applicants must have professional qualifications and experience in television/film production and directing, editing, camera operations and lighting, photography, printing, digital photography, digital imaging techniques, digital video production and editing and broadcasting equipment operations.
Candidates who hold a university degree will be given preference.
7. Professors and Lecturers
School of Business & Management Studies
- Professors & Associate Professors (3)
- Senior Lecturers (4)
In the following areas: Strategic Management, Accounting & Finance and Human Resource Management.
Department of Nursing
- Senior Lecturers (3)
In the following areas: Nursing Education or Nursing Management
Department of Health Systems Management and Medical Education
- Associate Professor
- Senior Lecturer
Candidates must be able to teach in at least five areas in Public Health or Health Systems Management, and be conversant with curriculum development and delivery.
- Senior Lecturers (2) in Counseling Psychology
Department of Education
- Senior Lecturer — in the following areas: Education Psychology, Economics of Education, Curriculum Design and Development, Special Needs Education and Early Childhood Education
Department of Communication and Journalism
- Senior Lecturer – in the following areas: electronic journalism courses at all levels, basic communication and journalism courses, and supervision of student research projects and practicum, The holder shall also be expected to carry out research and follow developments in the electronic media industry.
Department of Computer Information Systems & BBIT
- Senior Lecturer
In any area of Computer Science, Information Technology or Information Systems Engineering Department
Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering
- Qualifications and Requirements for the above Lecturers Positions
Applicants must have a PhD degree in their area of specialization with at least three years of University teaching experience and a minimum of three publications, or two university level books in the area of specialization. Candidates must have supervised postgraduate students.
Applicants must be PhD Holders with at least three years’ University teaching experience and a minimum of two publications, or two university level books in the area of specialization. Master’s degree holders with six years of lecturing in university with extensive publications and evidence of academic ability, leadership and managerial skills will be considered.
Applicants for Nursing must be registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya, at least six years of teaching experience at university level and over 4 publications.
All the positions above require individuals of high ethical standards, integrity, and professionalism. They must possess good managerial, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills. Computer literacy and good working knowledge of relevant computer applications is also mandatory.
Interested candidates should send their applications accompanied by a detailed CV (with details on applicants age, marital status, educational qualifications, work experience, present post and salary), copies of certificates and testimonials not later than Friday, 21g May 2010, to:
The Vice Chancellor,
Kenya Methodist University,
P.O. Box 267 — 60200, Meru,
KeMU is an equal opportunity employer