Aga Khan University (AKU) – Tanzania Institute of Higher Education – Assistant Registrar Vacancy Advertisement
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 11 teaching sites in 8 countries. It is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity,
gender or national origin. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for and in countries in East Africa.
AKU is fully registered in Tanzania by the Tanzania Commission for Universities as Tanzania Institute of Higher Education (TIHE).
AKU-TIHE invites applications for the following position, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Assistant Registrar, Tanzania
Reporting to the Associate Registrar, East Africa and working closely with the Principal of the Tanzania Institute for Higher Education, the Assistant Registrar will provide registrarial and academic administrative services to the University’s Tanzanian programmes of study, i.e. Master of Education and the Advanced Nursing Studies programmes.
The incumbent will have an overview of all prospective and enrolled students’ experiences and takes active steps in collaboration with students and their representatives, and relevant staff and services, to ensure that students, individually and collectively, have a positive and rewarding experience whilst studying at the Institute.
Some of the other responsibilities for the position will include:
- Liaison with external agencies in respect of student recruitment aspects and widening the access to admission.
- Liaison with Programme coordinators in provision of management information in respect to admission statistics.
- Coordinating student visa application, research permit application and transport for academic field visits.
- Provides expertise and registrarial liaison with the Tanzania Commission for Universities.
- Act as resource and point of contact for prospective and enrolled students.
- Act as resource and point of contact to faculty and staff on student matters.
- Reviewing existing channels of communication used by prospective and enrolled students, taking steps where necessary, to improve these; recommending establishment of new ones where deemed appropriate.
- Coordinating students’ welfare services including hostel and recreational activities.
- Maintaining students’ records.
- Coordinating with the Finance Manager on student invoicing and fee remittances.
- Other related duties as required by the Associate Registrar, East Africa.
The ideal candidates should posses a Master’s degree in Education/Social Science or equivalent qualification from a recognised university and have at least 5 years work experience in Education Management at a senior level, especially in an education setting.
The candidate must have excellent interpersonal and team-building skills and should be proactive in providing registrarial services that are efficient, friendly and supportive to the teaching and learning environment. S/he should have the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Kiswahili.
Please send your application, an updated CV and testimonials, including the names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone/fax numbers of two professional references, addressed to the
Human Resources Coordinator,
AKU – TIHE
P.O. Box 125, Dar es Salaam;
Fax (+255) (0) 22 215 0875
or email firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21, 2010.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For further information, please visit www.aku.edu